Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fabric glue a godsend

One of my dogs decided to do a little redecorating last month after I rearranged some furniture.

I inadvertently repositioned our sofa so our very territorial dog Chase could easily see out a large window.

He does not take kindly to people walking their dogs on the road and entering his field of vision. Prior to my moving the sofa, he would simply go into a barking fit with hackles raised and paws on the windowsill. After the rearranging, he could be curled up on the sofa and detect invaders.

Chase has been known to redirect his angst, and the cushion attached to the arm of the sofa became his target.

His first attack happened while my husband was home, and it left only tooth-sized holes. The second attack a few days later happened sometime in the 1 hours between when my husband left for work and I returned home. That time there was a 4-inch slash and the cushion was pulled away from the arm.

Chase had been taken for a walk before my husband left that day. We were wondering if we needed to up his separation anxiety medicine.

The third attack looked the worst. Fiberfill was strewn across the living room and sofa and a sliver of microfiber dangled limply from the corner. My husband waited until I got home from work to tell me about that attack, which had happened while he was still sleeping in the morning.

After examining the carnage, I determined I did not possess the skills or tools to reattach the cushion to the couch via sewing.

We had recently purchased some glass glue and ceramic glue. (Our cat Potter felt the need to clear the countertop of a decorative tile I had yet to hang.) I thought I would look for some fabric glue to try to fix the sofa.

I picked up a tube of Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive at a home store.

It's not quite as quick-setting as some super glues, which is a good thing in one respect and bad in another. When I got some on my fingers, I was able to pry them apart with no skin loss. To get the microfiber to stick to the sofa frame, however, I needed to hold it tightly in place for a few minutes.

The results are far from good as new, but the sofa has an arm cushion once again.

I did reposition the sofa, again, so Chase cannot stand on it and detect passersby. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment